Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Day 315 - Potential source found - UPDATED @ 5:30

     Last night around dinner time one of the nurses came by and swabbed Evan's nose and collected a mucus sample.  I had seen the primary ID doctor out in the hall earlier in the evening and he checked Evan out, but didn't have any suggestions for the source of the high WBCs.  Not sure if he was the one that ordered up the swab or if it got overlooked earlier in the day.  Thankfully it came back positive for the rhinovirus.  This may sound scary and menacing, but it's the virus strain most associated with the common cold.

"Red Man" Syndrome from the Vancomycin.

     This doesn't mean they're necessarily going to release us today though.  Although I haven't spoken with the medical team yet our nighttime nurse mentioned that they were still closely tracking his CRP score to help determine how effectively his body is fighting the virus.  She believed they'd be pulling the antibiotics as well once ID has had a chance this morning to review the findings.

Out and about last evening.

     In the meantime we're in isolation to prevent other children in the hospital from getting this cold.  I'm not sick (as of this writing) and Evan isn't distressed, other than another mild fever yesterday afternoon.  With his bone marrow able to produce WBCs I'm optimistic that he can fight this cold himself.
     I'll almost certainly provide another update later today as more information becomes available.

UPDATED @ 5:30

     The medical team came by this morning and provided an update.  Evan's WBC count dropped to a more acceptable level of 16, however his CRP score went back up to 25.  I was a little alarmed by the elevated CRP score.  The oncologist doing rounds this week said that it wasn't anything to be too concerned about because the WBC counts will always lower before the inflammation markers.  I asked what to expect if we kept trending downwards and the NP said a possible Friday release with a follow-up appointment at the clinic next week.  We're going to continue holding off his chemotherapy meds until the virus is under control.
     Last night Evan had a heck of a time staying asleep.  Around 2:00 I helped him go to the bathroom (he's connected to the IV pole for fluids).  When I got him back in the bed he told me it was time to wake up.  I told him he needed his rest and to try to go back to sleep.  I could hear him carrying on a conversation with the nurse every time she came in for her evening checks.  I let him sleep in this morning until almost noon, which is without question a new record for him as far as I know.
     The ID team hasn't been by today and thus hasn't pulled his antibiotics.  I fail to see the advantage of them since we know that the virus is the root of his blood counts.  Hopefully Cristy will get a chance to talk to them today.


No comments:

Post a Comment