Friday, July 20, 2018

Day 765 - The kids are heading home

     It's been an amazing week, but tomorrow Cristy and the kids head back home for their last full week of summer vacation.  My trek continues as I spend a week in Orlando meeting some of my new co-workers.  I can't say enough about the staff and volunteers with Lighthouse.  We've made friends, made memories and grew stronger as a family.  Evan and Nolan had a fantastic time at the beach and Cristy and I participated in conversation with other families that allows us to continue to evolve our perspective on life.


Nolan slipped on the trip and skinned his face a bit


     To expand on my point above, the team with Lighthouse helped us make lifelong memories.  Each day was filled with family time, activities and sessions meant to provoke thoughtful reflection on the trials we face each day.  From picnics on the beach to poker night to date night to an un-birthday party, concluding with a talent show, we could not have asked for more.  As pictures from the LFR photographer become available I will post them, but in the meantime Cristy and I have tried to capture what we could.



This boy was wore out! 


     What I hope to take from this week, besides the memories, is some friendships that endure.  We've met many families and I wish them all the best as they continue their journeys.  In addition to the cancer families we're going to miss the family partners that helped and bonded with us along the way.  We are very grateful for this opportunity and plan to come back one day as volunteers once Evan's health has improved.  

Talent show




     The boys came away with a few scrapes and bruises, but I'd expect no less from active children.  Evan's next chemo appointment is in mid-August and I'm optimistic that his counts will be solid heading into his start of 2nd grade.  Another thing we'll need to keep a close eye on is how many colds Nolan brings home since he's starting pre-K.  Maybe I can start wrapping Evan in shrink wrap until August of next year.  






An afternoon at the arcade with laser tag

     Well, I need to get back to packing and cleaning our room ahead of an early departure tomorrow.  The boys wore themselves out this week and I'm waiting on the fatigue to hit me.  It's been a fun and eventful summer and I can't think of a better way to draw it to a close - with my family.

Italian (food) night

     

No comments:

Post a Comment