Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Day 761 - Summer Vacation

     During the last blog I mentioned additional updates forthcoming.  Earlier this summer we had worked out a trip to Florida with a charity called Lighthouse Family Retreat.  Unfortunately it was right when Evan's blood counts bottomed out and we didn't want to risk an infection so we asked to reschedule.  Well I'm happy to report this blog update is coming to you from Miramar Beach, FL on day two of our trip.


Get used to the howling theme for this blog entry

     Last week Evan had his monthly chemotherapy visit on Thursday.  His counts leveled back off to almost ideal numbers.  His ANC was a 1.35, which is right where the doctors like it.  Cristy then got a head start Friday morning to Great Wolf Lodge in LaGrange, GA with the boys and I met up with her right after work.  If you haven't been it's a fantastic spot for the weekend and has lots to do besides swimming.  Evan and Nolan fell in love with something called MagiQuest (we also did it in Gatlinburg).  In short you walk around for hours collecting artifacts for fantasy adventures using a RFID wand.  Let's just say I know the bottom floor of GWL like the back of my hand now.



Entrance to the MagiQuest lobby

     Following that trip we slowly made the trek down to Florida for our week long vacation here.  If you're not familiar with this charity let me do my best to explain their mission.  They try to provide a beach vacation free of charge to families battling cancer.  Their experience is spiritually focused and they strive hard to make sure we (literally) don't lift a finger for anything.  Those that know me know this is not easy at all for me to take. 




View from our balcony

     This morning our family partners took the boys for the morning allowing the parents to take part in a group discussion called Common Ground.  It was inspiring to hear each and every story from parents and the various struggles they face.  Oddly I'm comfortable talking to people about our own trials and struggles, but it really hits me hard to hear others tell theirs.  I'm really looking forward to the remainder of the week.  It's great the boys are having a memorable time, but it's also encouraging for Cristy and I to see our adventure has similarities with others.

Eating lunch after Day 2 activities

     Evan and Nolan are really enjoying the beach.  It looks like Evan has gotten the hang of swimming and Nolan just likes being around other kids.  This is the first time Nolan has been to the beach since Evan was diagnosed and I don't think he remembers much about his first trip.  We'll make sure to get plenty of pictures this time and with any luck maybe I can get him swimming unassisted before the end of this trip as well. 



Cristy got Evan to do some of the ropes course



No comments:

Post a Comment