Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Day 524 - This day in history

     If you're looking for health updates in today's blog I'm afraid to tell you that you've come to the wrong place.  There have been no changes, good or bad, since Sunday.  Nope, today we're going to reflect on where we were a year ago today and touch on what we're thankful for.

Curriculum Carnival at Hayes
   
     Thanksgiving has never been one of my favorite holidays; however, I do enjoy spending time with family and friends and of course I love the time off from work.  So why do I mention my lack of affection for Thanksgiving?  Because a year ago today Evan was confined to a hospital room at CHoA with Cristy and me.  I wanted nothing more than to spend our day down at my parents' house overindulging on turkey, dressing, casseroles and desserts.
     To save my regular readers some time, let me recap.  Around this time last year another infection was discovered in Evan's right leg and he had to undergo surgery.  If you want to read for yourself here is the link: Happy Thanksgiving!.  Evan has bounced back from the surgeries, but we're still working out the kinks with his balance and leg strength.  Cristy and I were of course grateful for Evan's mental and physical improvements last year, and we have so much more to be thankful for this year.

S'mores night with our neighbors

     I've made no secret that 2016 was the toughest year of my life to date.  I'll save much of this commentary for a blog later this year, but as hard as that year was, 2017 has given us more cherished memories than I can ever count.  Last year I was thankful for life and for the many, many people who had helped us along in our journey.  This year Evan's improved health has allowed us to live again.
     Last year I was genuinely worried that we might watch Evan die in the hospital.  That's horrible for so many reasons, but my two biggest fears were opportunities lost and I didn't want to remember him in that state.  Once we turned the corner from a health perspective my fear subsided; however, it will always be with me as long as the chance for relapse exists. Cristy and I have done everything in our power to make sure that both boys pack in as many memories as possible to address my second fear.

Warming up for the real Santa

     Under 2017's watch Evan's health has improved, we've made new friends, strengthened bonds with old friends, grown as a family, grown personally, grown professionally, helped serve our community and had a little fun along the way.  I continue to preach to the boys about respect and looking out for others, but it's a heavy lesson for such young minds.  We have much to be thankful for and I plan on raising a glass (or two) tonight to celebrate our failures and triumphs with the knowledge that tomorrow is not a given and to cherish each day.
     Happy Thanksgiving to everyone reading this.  I hope you are able to spend the day with someone you care about.  Closing out with some photos from the past couple of days.  The majority of them are from Snow Mountain (Stone Mountain) this morning.














No comments:

Post a Comment